Friday, March 6, 2009

Scary Moment!

Scary, at least for me.  

This morning I get Levi up, change his diaper and get him dressed for the day.  Upon putting him down on the ground he drops to the floor and cries.  He then begins to tell me OOOOWWWWWWEEEEEE! Mommy! OOOOOOOWWWWWWWWEEEEEEE! and grabbing his left leg (he never says that).  So I started racking my brain to try and come to a conclusion as to why in the world he would be grabbing his left leg and not walking. Levi then proceeds to crawl down the hall to the living room, and all this time I am thinking "He hates crawling, why in the world is he not walking."  I try and encourage him to stand on his feet and he refuses.  

Then my brain starts ticking ... the first thing that comes to mind of course is the worst thing possible........ bone infection/cancer (what can you say I am a nurse.... don't we always think of the worst possible things when it comes to our own kids.  :),  then the more realistic thoughts start pouring in.....could this be simple growing pains.... could it be something broken, sprained (and if so how, when, where)... on and on .... 

I call the pediatrician and he recommends to come in for a visit/possible x-ray.  So the appointment is set and now we wait....... after a little coaxing Levi starts to bare weight and then starts walking....... What a sigh of relief....... after watching him for about 45min (he is walking and running by now) I decide to cancel the appointment and come to the conclusion that Levi must have slept in a really weird position.  No more than 10 min's later, Levi starts complaining about his left leg and crawling again.  I decided to take him in to his doctor. I couldn't just sit around all day wondering.  I needed to find out why and of course for my peace of mind.  

The doctor came to the conclusion that Levi has Synovitis in his left hip joint.  For those of you who are wondering what in the world is Synovitis.... well, it is inflammation of the synovial membrane, which lines the joints that posses cavities (knee, hip ect.) and it is usually painful.  The doctor recommended Mortin 2-3 times a day for 5 days.  If it doesn't go away then we need to do imaging studies to make sure that there is no infection in or around his joint/hip bone.   Let's just pray that this is just inflammation and not infection..Levi has had no signs of fever in the last few days and I hope it stays that way.  Here is to hoping that 5 days will come and go with no complaints and wwaaahhhoooo on to more destruction.  

2 comments:

Oberg family said...

Gosh, I wish you the best of luck with Little Levi! How are you doing?

Liz Cheney said...

The same thing happened to Aubree about 3 weeks after Austin is born. So here I am at McKay Dee Hospital pushing Aubree in the stroller with one hand, holding Addie on my hip with the other arm because Addie was upset about not being in the stroller and refused to walk and Austin was strapped to me. We were there for 4 hours doing x-rays, blood tests and an ultra sound. Of course after a couple of doses of motrin she was fine.